All eyes are on Christmas right now, but soon the holiday will be a distant (and hopefully pleasant) memory and you’ll be faced with what to do the day after. Since we’d hate to see you unprepared, here’s Blacks list of top things retailers need to do the day after Christmas.
1) Take an aspirin, hit the gym and clear your head (because you’ve probably been too busy to take care of yourself lately), and get ready for the big Saturday after Christmas. The day after Christmas is traditionally a strong sales day and with it falling on a Saturday this year, you can expect to see significant traffic.
2) Make sure that the email advertising your post-Christmas sales and events went out after midnight on the 25th to your core customer base. (You should be preparing this email now.)
3) Get your staff in early to reset the floor. The 24th will probably leave your floor looking like a storm hit it, and chances are most of your staff is going to leave early that day. Make sure that your team has time to reset the floor for post-Christmas sales on the 26th, with popular and discounted items up front.
4) We know your staff needs some vacation time but make sure you have enough salespeople on Saturday to take care of what we hope will be a large crowd. Gift cards are strong this year, so expect people to be lining up to cash them in.
5) Take additional markdowns, if necessary, keeping in mind that many of the majors are marking down that day. However, don’t take so many markdowns that customers coming in for returns are offended by how much they could have saved by waiting.
Good luck and Happy Holidays!
-Steve Pruitt, Senior Consultant, Blacks
You must be logged in to post a comment.